In Panama rice is like bread in Spain. It is present in many of our recipes, either as a main dish or a side, and obviously there are desserts too.
Rice with pineapple is a fantastic way to use a part of this fruit that we would otherwise being thrown away. To make this delicious dessert we only need the peel of the pineapple, a handful of rice, water, milk, nutmeg, sugar and cinnamon. Once the rice is made, it can be eaten as it is or you can make chicha, adding milk and ice and blending everything.
Today I wanted to do something a little bit different, but respecting the traditional flavors of this recipe of ours. The result is a different and delicious way to eat rice with pineapple, perfect for a home gathering or for children’s snack.
Rice with pineapple
- The peel of a mature pineapple
- 1/2 cup rice
- A cinnamon stick
- 1 liter of milk (it could be 500 ml of evaporated milk and 500 ml of whole milk)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup milk
- Sugar to taste
- Rice with pineapple, cold
- Beaten egg
- Bread crumbs
- Sugar and cinnamon
Start by making the rice with pineapple in the traditional way, with the only variation of adding two teaspoons of cornstarch to thicken it a little more.
Put the peel of the pineapple, cinnamon and the rice in a large pot, cover with water and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, until the rice is open and very soft.
Then add the milk/s and the sugar to taste and cook a little more. Now remove the peel and cinnamon, dilute the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of milk and add it to the pot. Cook by stirring until thick, about 10 minutes.
Place the rice in a dish and let it cool, cover and take to the fridge for at least 4 hours or, better yet, overnight.
To make the croquetas, with the help of a spoon, make little balls, pass by flour, beaten egg and finally breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil a minute or two, just until golden brown and put in a dish covered with kitchen paper.
As a final touch, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon .
- It may be easier to cook the peel of the pineapple with the cinnamon alone and when the water has been flavored, take them out and cook the rice in it (less messy).
- With this amount of rice with pineapple you’ll end up with many croquettes, I suggest you use a part to make chicha de arroz con piña by placing it in the blender, adding more milk and ice.